Thursday, February 26, 2009


Well I completed what I intended today plus a little more. Also hit a slight snag, but I am past it now. I repacked the front hub bearings and the headset bearings. The headset was pretty dry as shown in the photo:

I didn't have to fool with the bottom bracket as it is a sealed cartridge model, so the bearings are not serviceable. Its not perfect, but it should be good for a couple of more years. Unfortunately, the drive side crank arm is going to be a bear to remove for any unfortunate person who chooses to do so in the future. I also did a quick polish of the frame and fork. I'll hit it again in the sunlight to make sure I didn't miss any spots. I also polished the stem and reinstalled it with a new wedge bolt because the old one was rusted. The second photo shows the status of the bike after tonight's progress.

The snag I hit was that the cantilever brakes had plastic spring covers that had all cracked. I didn't have any replacements that matched, so I removed the pads and tossed the arms in the recycle bin. Geer is getting some 80s Exage cantilevers which are much better than the Altus that were the original equipment. The Exage arms have a molded aluminum flange that holds the spring in place so that they are not dependant on the plastic covers to prevent the springs from deforming and popping out of the holes on the cantilever studs.

I plan to wrap everything up on Saturday. I hope so anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment