Wednesday, February 25, 2009


So I have my daughter's bike on hold because I am rebuilding a 24 inch Trek 240 for my good friend Diana's son Geer. Geer is a cool kid who needs a bigger bike, and my friend found this Trek for $6.88 at a thrift store. This Trek needs a lot of love as it obviously spent many nights outside in the cold and rain. I should have taken a before picture, but I have a habit of immediately removing the crap parts off of second hand bikes as soon as they enter my basement. I did shoot a picture this evening with most of the heavy steel bits removed (see above). It's too bad that even the "good" brands put heavy steel parts on kids bikes. I guess it helps keep the costs down, but this bike was heavy. It is getting a new seatpost, handlebar, and rear derailleur all in aluminum.

So as I said before, this bike was abused. The chain was so rusted that it was a solid piece of metal that was impossible to get out of the rear derailleur. I didn't shoot a pic of that, but I do have a photo of the cassette. The one on the right is the rusted original, and the one on the left is an almost totally clean replacement from a donor bike. Yikes. I was worried that it wasn't going to come off.

So I wrapped up tonight with rehabbing the rear hub with Phil grease (only the best for Geer) and reinstalling the replacement cassette. I have a lot of work to do with a deadline of March 7. Tomorrow I plan to grease the front hub, bottom bracket, and stem.

2 comments:

  1. Sean you're the best and Geer is going to love his bike. So with all the work and the bad parts was it still a good deal?

    Thanks so much!!
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, definitely a good deal. I knew there would be a lot of rusty parts to throw away. This is why I keep a bunch of spares. Getting rid of the heavy steel is just my own personal crusade. This one is in much better shape than the last kids Trek I worked on, and that one sold for $137.

    ReplyDelete